Feb 15, 2021
£33,968 - £38,801 yearly
At Sellafield, we’re true pioneers. We led the world in nuclear power production, now we’re the world’s first movers into environmental remediation. Building on our rich history, we’re striding into an era where we’ll transform the environment, local society, the regional economy and the global nuclear industry.
Covering six square kilometres, the site in West Cumbria is home to more than 200 nuclear facilities. A team of 11,000 people here work alongside our supply chain partners, to tackle a diverse portfolio of decommissioning, reprocessing, spent fuel management, nuclear waste management and nuclear material management.
Our Safety Case Profession
Safety Cases form the backbone of nuclear safety at Sellafield, helping develop safe solutions for projects and maintain safe conditions on our facilities. The Safety Case is not only a fundamental requirement of our licence to operate, but essential in our understanding of hazards and safety controls.
Safety Case professionals work on projects and facilities site-wide and through the full facility lifecycle from design, through operations, to decommissioning and demolition. They are responsible for not only understanding and analysing the nuclear hazards and risks that could occur but identifying how safety can be managed and ensuring robust controls are implemented in practice.
Your role will be to support the Safety Case Manager (SCM) in the development, implementation, maintenance and review of the Safety Case. Ensuring that the Safety Case delivered is clear and user friendly for all stakeholders.
* Provide high quality Safety Case advice.
* Work collaboratively with other disciplines to support safety case development and management activities for the facility.
* Facilitating communication between relevant stakeholders.
* Seeking and delivering improvements.
* Present Safety Case documents to safety committees on behalf of the SCM (as required).
* Look for, use and share learning from internal and external sources and from events and good practice.
* Support engagements with Regulatory bodies and other external stakeholders for the associated facility Safety Case.
* Deputise for the Safety Case Manager in areas where technical competence has been demonstrated.
* Identify and participate in improvement initiatives on Safety Case Process and implementation in the workplace.
* Maintain up to date knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory/ company policies.
Candidates without previous Safety Case experience are welcomed to apply for this vacancy. Such candidates will be recruited as trainees (entry salary: £33,968) and be enrolled on the safety case career pathway, which will develop your skills and experience to achieve a fully competent safety case advisor status.
* Experience of report writing
* Experience of applying new approaches or innovative solutions.
* Strong communication skills- written and verbal
* Ability to influence, communicate and work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders across a team and business area
* Good analytical thinking skills, with experience of solving novel and possibly challenging technical issues
* Computer literate
* Good planning skills
* Self-motivated with a high level of resilience
* Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships
* Degree qualified or relevant experience
* Previous experience in operations, engineering, technical disciplines or in a support team for an operational plant.
* Experience of Regulatory interface.
* Knowledge of the relevant Site Licence Conditions.
Closing Date: 08/03/2021
Salary: £33,968 to £38,801 depending on skills, qualifications and experience.
Our work is complex vital and demanding those who do it receive a great package of rewards and benefits such as 25.5 days annual leave plus bank holidays, an attractive defined contribution pension scheme, annual bonus schemes and several family friendly and lifestyle policies.
You are advised to regularly check your emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) for correspondence related to this post, including assessment or interview invitations and any other type of correspondence relating to your application.
In the event of a high number of responses to any advert, Sellafield Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy early.
In promoting equal opportunities, Sellafield Ltd welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy