Apr 29, 2021
About the role:
The purpose of this role is to support the Corporate Planning capability to secure planning permissions from the Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) for Sellafield Ltd’s development proposals for new buildings, changes of use of existing buildings, any building extensions or modifications, for demolitions and for the storage of hazardous materials etc. Permissions need to be obtained in a timely manner, for the most effective use of land within the Sellafield site, which take account of Regulatory requirements and local stakeholders’ needs and sensitivities.
* Controlling development activities on the site so that they deliver Sellafield Ltd’s work scope and meet Regulatory requirements.
* Assessing development proposals to determine the appropriate mechanism for obtaining planning permission, ensuring compliance with the Town and Country Planning Act and other relevant legislation.
* Assisting and advising clients within the business in how to apply for planning permissions and how to make successful applications.
* Carrying out pre-application discussions with the LPAs to ensure that any potential issues are adequately addressed before the planning applications are submitted.
* Ensuring that good quality planning applications are submitted to the LPAs in accordance with project schedules.
* Managing planning application submissions and working effectively with the LPAs (Copeland Borough Council and Cumbria County Council) in order to ensure that the planning application process progresses efficiently and effectively.
* Engaging with other important Regulators (e.g. the Environment Agency) and stakeholders (e.g. Highways England and the Local Parish Councils) so that their requirements and sensitivities are adequately addressed as part of any planning proposal to ensure that any planned developments are fully understood by the external stakeholders.
* Working with clients and the LPAs to discharge planning conditions.
* Planning administration – including the maintenance of planning records (e.g. development assessments, planning applications, consents received, discharge of planning conditions etc), risk registers and action trackers.
* Delivering improvement actions e.g. updating/streamlining procedures, developing the 10-year planning application schedule etc.
* Responding to planning-related consultations on behalf of Sellafield Ltd.
* Being an active member of Sellafield Ltd’s Planning Liaison Committee (PLC).
* Supporting the Planning Performance Agreements (PPA) with CBC and CCC.
* Sharing ‘learning from experience’ and best practice with the programme, project and architects’ communities within Sellafield Ltd.
* Working closely with the Masterplanning Tactical Team, the wider Spatial Planning community, Corporate Planning, Legal, the Property Team, Stakeholder Relations, the Civil Structural and Architects teams etc to enable underpinned decision making.
* Carrying out periodic reviews of compliance.
* Ideally a graduate (min 2:2) or equivalent in a relevant discipline(s) with typically more than 3 years’ relevant experience, or relevant experience in a similar role e.g. legal, architecture.
* Demonstrable working knowledge of the application of the Town and Country Planning Act, national and local planning policies and the National Planning Policy Framework.
* Demonstrable practical knowledge of spatial planning tools and techniques, and the ability to read, interpret and use architectural drawings and maps.
* Effective communicator both within the team and the wider organisation, and with external stakeholders with an advanced level of written and oral presentational competencies.
* Track record of producing good quality written work to specified time scales.
* Demonstrable ability to maintain good working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
* Appreciation of other work disciplines such as project management and stakeholder engagement etc.
* Computer literate and experienced in Microsoft Office applications and, ideally, the use of GIS.
* Basic knowledge or understanding of Building Regulations would be useful but is not essential.
* Flexible and agile approach to working, developing new skills and implementing business improvements.
Closing Date: 24/05/21
Our work is complex, vital and demanding. Those who do it receive an attractive package of rewards and benefits. For further information and benefits of working for Sellafield Ltd please refer to the Rewards & Benefits in the Working for us section of this site.
You are advised to regularly check your emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) for correspondence related to this post, including assessment or interview invitations and any other type of correspondence relating to your application.
In the event of a high number of responses to any advert, Sellafield Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy early.
In promoting equal opportunities, Sellafield Ltd welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy