May 28, 2021
Hillingdon, Greater London
Project: Heathrow Q6 (London, UK)
About Ferrovial Construction
Ferrovial Construction is the engineering and construction arm of the Ferrovial Group. It is the largest private transport infrastructure operator in the world in terms of capital invested with a workforce of approximately 96,000 employees, and a presence across 15 countries with over 60 years’ experience. It is a Spanish multinational company operating through 4 divisions; Airports, Highways, Construction and Building subsidiaries. Ferrovial are committed to developing sustainable and innovative solutions, with the aim to create value for society, and for clients, investors and employees. Ferrovial Construction Ltd UK have 7 major Infrastructure projects across the UK; HS2 Enabling works, HS2 Main Works, Silvertown Tunnel (STT), Heathrow (Q6), Thames Tideway (TTT), Northern Line Extension (NLE) and Farringdon Station.
About Q6, Heathrow
Our Q6 framework spans from airfield works (taxiways, runways, stands), to civils (roads, demolition works, underground and above ground structures), and MEP packages (services tunnels, lifts, life safety systems, fuel/fire mains).
The Design Manager will report directly to the Senior Design Manager and will work closely with the Project Manager, and liaise with the Client, Design Consultants and relevant stakeholders in all matters related to Design and Engineering. You will ensure design is delivered on time and on budget, and comply with the required Quality, Health, Safety and Wellbeing and Sustainability standards and requirements. You will also manage the design Contract, including design changes, risk and opportunities. This is an exciting opportunity to use new technologies, tools and software in the construction industry to bring innovation to the project.
* Contribute to the achievement of Health and Safety targets in accordance with company policy
* Tendering design packages from project briefs received by the Client – understand scope and negotiate offers upstream and downstream
* Agree Design Responsibility Matrix with all parties with design input in the project to ensure no gaps or overlaps
* Co-ordinate the design team activities to ensure that the project design is completed on budget in line with the cost plan and on time in line with the agreed construction programme
* Monitor and track progress of the design, manage any slippages and be the interface with the management team
* Actively define and manage design interfaces
* Lead the review of the design with the interested parties
* Promote, explore and materialise value engineering opportunities throughout the design process
* Work with the procurement team to ensure compliance with financial parameters and assist in defining scopes for subcontracting the different works packages
* Be responsible for ensuring the design complies with health, safety, environmental and quality requirements
* Work with the Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental teams to support audits to Consultants
* Liaise with client representatives on the design development as required
* Liaise with the Engineering Services in Spain to ensure adherence to Ferrovial design processes and principles
* Set up tools to evidence how Health by Design, Design for Safety and Design for Sustainability have been embedded in the design
* Review and agree Consultants monthly Applications for payment
* Prepare design monthly KPI submission and meet targets
* Assist the Senior Design Manager on the management of the design team, giving advice on appropriate resourcing levels, effective performance management, employee development and motivation
* Promote company values in all dealing with other employees, clients, subcontractors and other external contacts.
* Design Process and Contract Management
* Stakeholder relationships
* Design Compliance with Client and industry standards, requirements and regulations
* Coordinate solutions with the Construction team
* Promote innovation, efficiencies and value engineering
Skills & experience
-- Experience in design coordination roles
-- Working knowledge of BIM
-- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
-- Ability to use time productively, maximise efficiency, and meet challenging work goals
-- Ability to take on additional responsibilities as needed as well as determine and manage priorities with minimal guidance.
-- Proactive approach to incorporate new technologies on site at different stages of the project.
-- Experience in reviewing and implementing processes, workflows and procedures for setting up CDE platform in major projects
-- Knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
-- Experience in airfield design (management)
-- Experience of working in cost-conscious environment
-- People management skills
-- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact at a variety of levels
-- Excellent written and oral English language
-- Experience of working in the construction industry
Ferrovial embraces diversity and inclusion and we see the value in providing equal opportunities to all employees. We are committed to building an inclusive team from a variety of different backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
Please note that this job description does not represent a comprehensive list of activities and employees may be requested to undertake other reasonable duties