Sep 01, 2021
£55,000 - £75,000 yearly
Senior Quantity Surveyor
London / Kent Borders
£65k - £75k + Package
A traditional building contractor established for nearly 40 years working predominately within London and the Home Counties areas within the public and private sectors. With a group turnover of £40m per annum 90% of their work is refurbishment and the remaining 10% new build. Projects vary from high-spec residential, health, commercial, education and historic projects with values ranging from £10k to £10 (average £2m-3m). They have an enviable client list and continue to experience growth with most work coming via repeat orders. They heavily invest in training and development programmes for their staff and encourage development from within
Senior Quantity Surveyor
Following the retirement of a valued team member they are now seeking an experienced Surveyor to join their team to be office based with site visits as required. You will be responsible for projects under your remit ensuring effective financial control at all times, providing accurate, detailed management and performance information to ensure they complete within budget.
You will also be mentoring an Assistant QS on a £1.9m Church refurbishment based in Central London so ideally have previous experience of mentoring and developing team members.
Key accountabilities include:
* Thoroughly check contract documentation to identify key surveying factors for the project (such as deadlines, onerous clauses, penalties, liquidated damages etc), and that contract documentation reflects the work that was tendered for. Highlight any discrepancies to client representatives
* Highlight any discrepancies and issues to the Operations Director prior to the commencement of project
* Produce and keep up to date a procurement schedule for each project based on the contract documentation, ensuring that the schedule is kept fully up to date and annotated to indicate the current position in relation to each aspect of the schedule
* Based on the procurement schedule, send enquiries to subcontractors, and analyse quotes received to enable comparison prior to recommending to the Operations Director / Commercial Manager the most appropriate subcontractor for the work. Ensure that orders for work are placed at the right time to avoid delays and assist in the efficient delivery of the project.
* Monitor the progress of the project, visiting sites regularly, measuring and valuing works, ensuring payment within the terms agreed and ensuring effective communication with the Site Manager on all aspects of work.
* Produce monthly CVR reports for each project, in line with the standard templates provided, to provide accurate and relevant information that enables the overall progress and financial position of the project to be monitored effectively.
* Agree interim and final accounts with the sub contractors and value final works, discussing any areas of variation and produce a valuation for the client representative.
* Carry out all duties in accordance with the companies polices, including health and safety and equality and diversity requirements.
* Have a relevant HNC/Degree in Quantity Surveying highly beneficial but not essential
* Experience of managing projects of £3m plus
* Experience within a best-practice environment ideally within a medium/large sized contractor
* Have the ability to prioritise workload
* Ability to interpret detailed drawings and analyse information to make accurate and informed decisions
* Excellent communication and negotiation skills
* IT literate – Competent in the use of Excel and other Microsoft packages
* Keen to develop within a main contractor
* Experience of mentoring junior team members (Asst. QS’s)
* Stable work history
* Full UK Drivers Licence
This is an excellent opportunity to join a contractor that has low turnover of personnel and work on a variety of projects within London and the Home Counties areas.
Please forward a current CV in the first instance.
MSB Recruitment Ltd is an Employment Agency working within the building and civil engineering sector throughout the UK.
Buyer / Senior Buyer / Procurement / Assistant Site Manager / Site Manager / Senior Site Manager / Project Manager / Contracts Manager / Quantity Surveyor / Senior Quantity Surveyor / Assistant Quantity Surveyor / Trainee Quantity Surveyor/ SQS / Senior QS / Commercial Manager / Commercial Director / Commercial Assistant / Estimator / Estimator / Commercial Assistant / Planner / SHEQ / Construction / Highways / Build / Utilities / New Build / Refurbishment / D&B / Fit-Out / Historical / Residential / Education / Leisure / Commercial / Industrial / Health / Bid Writer / Business Development Manager / Reinstatement / Surfacing / Highways / Civil Engineering / Works Manager / Reinstatement Manager / NRSWA / Utilities / Demolition / RC Framed / Piling / Groundworks / Heavy Civils