Nov 10, 2021
£30,107 - £33,968 yearly
Sellafield Ltd is a global centre for nuclear engineering management. We pioneered the harnessing of nuclear power to generate electricity for the country. Now the world is watching as we set international standards in high-hazard reduction. In short, we’re at the forefront of the industry.
We are currently recruiting for Human Factors Trainees.
Human Factors (HF) focuses on the needs, abilities and limitations of people, applying psychological and physiological theory, principles, data and ergonomic methods in order to help reduce the probability of error at the workplace, optimise human well-being and overall system performance.
It is fundamental to the development of nuclear safety case, discharging conventional safety obligations and in ensuring that the ever-increasing role of the operator is appropriately considered, and the potential for human error reduced (SFAIRP) at all stages of the plant lifecycle.
The HF Assessor is responsible for the provision of HF assessment and advice across multiple projects and plants, COMAH related areas and Investigations. They provide support across all stages of the plant lifecycle, from initial concept design, through to decommissioning and plant demolition.
As a Trainee HF Assessor, you will follow the Human Factors career pathway/skill plan with appropriate support and mentoring, acquiring the skills, knowledge and experience required to be a fully competent HF Assessor and progress to senior assessor level. The principle accountabilities for the HF Assessor role are:
• Identify and deliver a proportionate scope of HF activities for all types of design and/or safety case projects or modifications across site.
• Apply psychological and ergonomic theory to determine and apply appropriate HF activities, methods and compile arguments and evidence in support of; - Investigations - Safety Case - Design of user interfaces, equipment, workspaces and environments - Commissioning - Operations
• Manage own time and work, delivering to time and schedule including immediate/urgent unplanned requests.
• Carry out quality assurance activities.
• Communicating HF findings and advice to relevant parties and stakeholders. Note that the accountabilities for Trainee HF Assessors are commensurate to competence levels in line with the HF Skill Plan, with appropriate training, support and supervision provided.
• BSc/MSc in Psychology/Ergonomics/Human Factors or equivalent level of qualifications/experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to plan and manage resources effectively
• Good working knowledge and understanding of the Sellafield Ltd site, hazards posed, organisational structure, and processes.
• Understanding of HF Methods and practices in supporting the safety case, engineering, pre-ops/commissioning and operations.
• Experience and understand of the UK regulatory environment and relevant legislation – Health and Safety at Work Act, Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations, Nuclear Installations Act, Ionising Radiation Regulations, Tolerability of Risk.
• Experience of dealing with internal and external stakeholders and regulators.
Pay & Benefits
Salary:£30,107 to £33, 968
Closing Date: 29/11/21
Location: West Cumbria
In promoting equal opportunities, Sellafield Ltd welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. We want talented people from all backgrounds to choose to join our diverse teams, we’ll support your work life balance with flexible and agile working options for full time and part time applicants. You are advised to regularly check your emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) for correspondence related to this post, including assessment or interview invitations and any other type of correspondence relating to your application. In the event of a high number of responses to any advert, Sellafield Ltd reserves the right to close the advert early. As users of the Disability Confident Scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum essential skills for the vacancy. You will be able to declare a disability when completing our application form. For further details on the scheme please contact GBS Recruitment directly