Nov 16, 2021
West Ruislip, Ruislip HA4 7HD, UK
Salary Details: Competitive
* Implementation/production of site produced Risk Assessments, WASPS and Method Statements – in particular high risk activities to ensure adequacy of risk mitigation * Carry out briefings (Method Statement, Start of Shift, Safety Alert etc) as and when required * Participate in weekly SHE inspections * Champion SCS and HS2 SHE initiatives * Ensure safety, environmental and quality non compliances/best practises are reported to Senior Engineer/Sub Agent. * Reporting on ground condition monitoring and any changes, significant or otherwise * Completion of check sheets/records in line with project QA requirements * Completion of detailed shift report recording activities carried out/problems encountered/solutions and innovation during the shift * Monitoring site material and consumable stocks and reporting deficiencies as required * Maintain a proactive approach to problem solving in conjunction with the site team as required and reporting on solutions found
Health, Safety & Environment
* Ensuring health and safety is given the highest priority in the delivery of the works * Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies * Ensure that the Health Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures are effectively communicated to the workforce and implemented * Work collaboratively with the HS2 team and other contractors, subcontractors works packages to achieve the overall project goalsThe Ideal Candidate
* Understands the scope of the works and can identify change * Promoting the pursuit of excellence and continuous improvement, driving innovation, adopting best practice, standard processes and procedures * Ad hoc duties as required by the job
Required Qualifications & Skills
* Engineering Degree/HND/HNC or similar in a construction discipline * Practical site experience of working on multi discipline construction projects that have allowed exposure to various shaft sinking and tunnelling techniques * Very good setting out skills using differing methods e.g. bearing and distance, co-ordinates, offsetting, laser and traditional levelling * Very good record keeping skills * The ability to work quickly and accurately in pressure situations * The ability to communicate and share information with peers and the operatives/gangers/foremen
Desirable Qualifications & Skills
* Engineering Degree/HND or similar in Tunnelling/Mining * Crane Supervisor * IOSH or SMSTS achieved * Temporary Works knowledge/appreciation * 1 or more years experience working for a tunnelling contractor on contracts that have included shaft sinking (Underpinning, wet/dry caisson, sprayed concrete) and TBM driven tunnelling utilising a pre cast concrete lining system * Knowledge and application of Survey Control and TBM Guidance techniques/systems * Knowledge and application of common setting out practises within the shaft sinking and tunnelling disciplines * Understanding and application of ring selection while tunnelling * Temporary works installation * Understanding of the basic principles of cost control * Understanding of SHE/quality risk assessment and risk mitigation
About The Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services.
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status