Nov 23, 2021
North Acton, London W3, UK
Salary Details: Competitive
Scope of works will focus on the shaft/box construction including SCL in the Central Area. Shaft and SCL works are planned to commence in 2022. Enabling civils and mobilisation works are planned to commence in 2021. Works completion is planned in 2027.
This role is the technical lead and support to the construction site delivery team. This role is within the Central Team (Based in North Acton). This role will lead the technical input in design packages, temporary works, technical assurance, pre-construction planning, asset interfaces, I&M, materials trials and testing. This role is intended to support the construction team by providing technical input and leading long lookahead delivery items. This role is intended to enable the construction site delivery team to focus on short term programming and the day to day operation of live construction operations and teams.
This role reports to the Agent/Construction Manager responsible for Central Assets.
This role will interface with and be responsible for coordination between the construction teams, the design managers, the temporary works coordinator, the I&M manager, the materials team, the TA team, the engineering management team. The role report to the Construction Manager and Construction team Sub Agent/Agent for direction in the scope of their work and tasks.
Key Responsibilities & Items of Works:
Permanent works design packages
* This role is responsible for attending design meetings and leading the constructability input for design packages including the, shaft/headhouse or box civils , shaft and box internal civils, all associated Architectural packages, and urban realm. * This role is responsible for attending design meetings, producing the construction input report, adapting lessons learnt from previous projects and ensuring designs are constructable. * This role must produce a construction forecast for the associated designed packages. This forecast must be developed with the construction team, the supervision team, the commercial team. This forecast must be presented to the construction manager in the F&R. The development of this forecast must include a review of the CL32 programme. This role must present a confidence in BUF readiness based on design package completion, this must be reviewed with the commercial lead and presented at F&R reviews to the construction manager. * This role must identify risks and opportunities in design and construction for the design packages. These must be recorded on the risk and opportunities register.Temporary works design packages
* This role is responsible for identifying temporary works design packages along with the construction team lead (sub agent/agent). * This role must produce a temporary works design list, identify dates required for use on site and produce temporary works design briefs. * This role is responsible for gathering design brief information and leading the input into designs, design meetings and coordination with the temporary works designers. * This role must interface and coordinate with the construction team lead (sub-agent/agent) and the temporary works coordinator. * This role must support the construction team lead in the forecasting and reporting of temporary works costs for design and for construction. * This scope include site craneage.Technical Assurance
* This role is responsible for developing a technical assurance flowchart and breakdown of work packages as directed by the construction manager and construction team leads (sub-agents/agents). * This must be presented and agreed with the area technical assurance lead.Pre-construction planning
* This role is responsible for producing and managing the completion of pre-start documentation required for the readiness to dig process to enable the commencement of shaft/box construction and tunnelling operations. * This role is responsible for coordinating with the construction manager for direction in completion of the above activities.Team organization & Reporting
* This role is responsible for identifying the requirements of a team under their scope of responsibility. They must develop an organization chart and produce job descriptions for the team roles identified. They must agree this organization and job descriptions with the Cavern team construction manager. They are responsible for completing the recruitment process including raising ATR’s, organizing interviews and completing onboarding. * This role is responsible for managing and leading their recruited team. This includes managing their working hours, locations, delegating and tracking progress, organizing team meetings, following up and managing performance issues, producing and issuing a RACI matrix. * This role is responsible for reporting against their area of responsibility. This includes the setup and keeping updated of trackers. The completion of reporting formats issued by the construction manager. * Overview of team organisation, reporting lines and interfaces. (Project Engineer Team)The Ideal Candidate
* Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in a Civil Engineering allied subject or HND in Civil Engineering and vocational training in Engineering * Main contractor and major project experience highly desirable * Ideally you are currently working at sub agent or agent level * Knowledge and Understanding of construction contract law and forms of contract through experience and formal training. * Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices. * Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system, Primavera software). * Relevant CSCS Card * Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management * Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project. * Experience of temporary works and earthworks experience is a preference but the correct engineering acumen is more important.About The Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status